Small Ottawa Photo Studio Earns Good Karma by Giving Back
I remember going for my morning walk in the park and being so inspired by an audio program I was listening to by Ben & Jerry's (yes the ice-cream guys). I thought of a way a little business like mine could make a difference to those less fortunate. I knew I would never be able to write large cheques to the various charities I liked so I came up with several "Don't pay us, pay them" charity promotions. The idea was simple, we would run promotions and offer our services free to those people that would make a contribution to our selected charity. They would save some money and get the tax receipt, we would earn the good karma.
Over the last couple of decades we were able to help in a small way. Rotary International honored me with a Paul Harris Fellowship in recognition of my efforts.
- Wheelchair Foundation Canada, 48 wheelchairs purchased and delivered to third world countries.
- WaterCan, our portrait promotion raised funds to built a well in Ethiopia providing safe clean water to the Bachoo-Ilu village.
- Smile Train, we raised $1125. Enough to provide four children with free cleft pallet surgery.
- Polio Plus, raised money to buy 3,600 does of the Polio vaccine.
- 1989 Ontario Games for the Physically Disabled, Bronze Patron Sponsor